Senior Security Officer - Control Room
NGA Level 3
Position No. 1576
This position is one of four Senior Security Officer positions in the Security Section which report to the Assistant Manager, Security.
The goal of the Security Section is to provide an efficient and effective security service which protects the National Gallery’s works of art, ensures the safety and service needs of staff and visitors are met, seek to enhance visitor experience and in all other respects supports the objectives and strategies identified in the Gallery’s Corporate Plan.
- Assist in motivating and coordinating a small team of Security Officers to provide protection for the works of art, visitors and staff, buildings and other Gallery assets.
- Operate, monitor and assist in ensuring the ongoing effective operation of the Gallery’s electronic security systems, (including alarm systems, closed circuit television, access control system, fire systems and the radio network), conduct in house maintenance of security hardware/equipment and monitor and report on the effectiveness of associated maintenance programs.
- Provide on-the-job training for Control Room Security Officers.
- Participate in the Gallery’s information/incident reporting service by providing oral and written reports as appropriate.
- Provide basic information to members of the public inquiring about events at the Gallery and in Gallery facilities.
- Participate in the Gallery’s emergency evacuation procedures, disaster prevention and recovery strategies.
- Ability to effectively use computer applications.
- First Aid duties as required.
- Demonstrated liaison and communication skills, including the ability to remain calm in potentially stressful circumstances.
- An understanding of security control room operations, including electronic and physical security systems and procedures and their integration to higher level policies such as the Protective Security Policy Framework.
- Supervisory and leadership skills, including a commitment to the continuing development of staff.
- A good understanding of protective security, particularly as it relates to a museum environment.
- A willingness to maintain a high standard of dress and personal presentation and undertake shiftwork as required and a reasonable amount of overtime. A level of fitness commensurate with the duties of the position.
- Ability to promote and apply the principles of workplace diversity and participative management practices.
- A current Senior First Aid certificate or must be willing to undertake training to obtain one. Certificate 2 in Security Operations for the issue of an ACT Security Licence and a current Drivers Licence is required.
Job Specific WH&S Requirements / Information for Supervisor and Occupant
The Senior Security Officer is expected to take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure the health and safety of all by supporting and participating in initiatives aimed at improving health and safety in the NGA, particularly through the process of continuous improvement. This includes ensuring tasks and procedures are undertaken in a manner which safeguards the health and safety of NGA employees, contractors, volunteers and visitors and ensuring the NGA’s legal obligation for WH&S is met in relation to systems of work.
Within 1 month of commencing in the position the occupant, in discussion with his/her supervisor, must complete an Individual Development and Performance Agreement and Health and Safety Responsibilities checklist to identify any section specific WH&S issues and training required.
Position Numbers: 1576
Position: Senior Security Officer, Control Room
Classification: NGA Level 3
Immediate Supervisor: Assistant Manager Security
Hours per week: 38