Assistant ManagerGallery Shop
NGA Level 4
Position No. 2111
This position is located in the National Gallery Shop in the Development, Marketing and Commercial Operations Program. The Gallery Shop has the multiple function of being a profit centre through its retail, e-commerce and wholesale services. It also fulfils the educational purpose of the Gallery as a public resource and serves in-house requirements with bibliographical searches, art book and merchandise requirements.
The position undertakes the day to day operations of the Gallery Shop including the management of staff. The position is situated in the Gallery Shop and reports to the Gallery Shop Manager.
- Supervise the day to day operations of the Gallery Shop, including the delivery of key performance standards relating to customer service, selling skills and visual presentation.
- Determine staffing rosters for the Gallery Shop / exhibition shops and assist with recruitment, training and development of Gallery Shop staff.
- Supervise the handling and acquittal of all end of day procedures. Oversee the safe custody of cash and shop merchandise. Undertake ongoing reviews of security procedures and implement procedures to reduce merchandise shrinkage and theft.
- In consultation with the Gallery Shop Manager be responsible for ordering, pricing and merchandising of shop products with particular emphasis on Indigenous merchandise, children's books, jewellery and apparel for the Gallery Shop and exhibition shops, as required.
- Assist the Gallery Shop Manager with reviewing and implementing quality systems and procedures to manage the business in the areas of service, staff, stock, visual presentation and financial processes.
- Substantial recent experience in a busy retail environment, preferably in a supervisory role with demonstrated ability to use initiative and achieve outcomes required by management.
- Sound understanding of retail operations including personal selling, service skills and the understanding of financial principles that drive a retail business. In depth understanding of supplier / manufacturer practices and the ability to negotiate to achieve budgeted margins.
- Proven experience in using a retail point of sale system is highly desirable and a firm understanding of the purchasing function is essential.
- High level of interpersonal skills and team leadership and membership qualities including a demonstrated ability to coach, counsel and motivate staff.
- Well developed verbal and written communication skills including the ability to manage workloads, work flows and maintain a high level of customer service.
- Ability to promote and apply the principles of workplace diversity and participative management practices.
- Willingness to work rostered shifts and weekends.
Job Specific WH&S Requirements / Information for Supervisor and Occupant
The Assistant Shop Manager is responsible for ensuring the work tasks and procedures within the Section are undertaken in a manner which safeguards the health and safety of NGA employees and visitors and ensuring the NGA's legal obligation for WH&S is met in relation to systems of work.
Within 1 month of commencing in the position the occupant, in discussion with his/her supervisor, must complete an Individual Development and Performance Agreement and Health and Safety Responsibilities checklist to identify any section specific WH&S issues and training required.
Position No: 2111
Position: Assistant Shop Manager
Classification: NGA Level 4
Department: Gallery Shop
Program: Development, Marketing and Commercial Operations
Immediate Supervisor: Gallery Shop Manager
Hours per week: Part time (30 hours / week)