Assistant Curator (Australian Paintings and Sculpture)
NGA Level 5
Position No. 4120
The Assistant Curator, Australian Paintings and Sculpture provides curatorial and organisational assistance to the Australian Paintings and Sculpture department. This includes undertaking administration, liaison with staff across the Gallery, research and cataloguing works in the collection, preparation of works of art for exhibition and undertaking special projects as required. The position reports to the Senior Curator, Australian Paintings and Sculpture post 1920.
- Assist with the identification, cataloguing and collection management aspects of the collection as well as the organisation of exhibitions, changing displays as outlined in the exhibitions program.
- Co-ordinate, prepare and/or initiate submissions to Council for the acquisition and where appropriate de-accession of works of art from the collection.
- Oversee the movement of works for the purposes of exhibition, conservation, photography and storage. Collaborate with Senior Curators, Conservation staff and outside Consultants in reporting on the condition of works in the Australian Paintings and Sculpture collection, and the treatment and framing of works.
- Coordinate, facilitate and liaise with senior staff and other stakeholders regarding external loans for exhibition and the Official Establishments.
- Draft correspondence, undertake research, prepare texts and assist with the co-ordination of publishing on aspects of the collection.
- Represent the Gallery and present lectures and other public programs related to the collection as well as effectively liaise with staff across the gallery and assist with the supervision of junior staff, interns and volunteers in the department.
- Develop and nurture contacts with donors, artists, dealers, curatorial colleagues and the general public.
- A demonstrated broad knowledge of Australian Art with a particular interest in Australian paintings and sculpture, with relevant tertiary qualifications and/or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in curatorial museum practices and procedures, including collection development activities as well as accurate museum cataloguing methods and the organisation and delivery of exhibitions.
- Proven administrative skills with the ability to work on several projects simultaneously, organising and prioritising to meet specified deadlines with a minimum of supervision.
- Evidence of sound skills in verbal and written communication with experience in public speaking and delivering talks and demonstrated expertise in undertaking research and publishing material on relevant aspects of Australian art.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively as a member in a team and in establishing good working relationships with multi-disciplined staff teams, gallery clients and other networks in Australian art.
- Ability to promote and apply the principles of workplace diversity and participative management practices.
Job Specific WH&S Requirements / Information for Supervisor and Occupant
The Assistant Curator, Australian Paintings and Sculpture is expected to take all reasonable practicable steps to ensure the health and safety of all by supporting and participating in initiatives aimed at improving health and safety in the gallery, particularly through the process of continuous improvement. This includes ensuring tasks and procedures are undertaken in a manner which safeguards the health and safety of Gallery employees, contractors, volunteers and visitors and ensuring the gallery’s legal obligations for WH&S is met in relation to systems of work
Within 1 month of commencing in the position the occupant, in discussion with his/her supervisor, must complete an Individual Development and Performance Agreement and Health and Safety Responsibilities checklist to identify any section specific WH&S issues and training required.
Position Number: 4120
Position: Assistant Curator (Australian Paintings and Sculpture)
Classification: NGA Level 5
Department: Australian Paintings and Sculpture
Immediate Supervisor: Senior Curator (Australian Paintings and Sculpture, post 1920)
Status : Ongoing
Hours Per Week : Fulltime 37.50