Project Officer, Travelling Exhibitions
NGA Level 5/6
Position No. 6073
The Travelling Exhibitions Section is responsible for increasing public access to the Gallery’s collections through a program that serves to develop and enrich existing and new audiences in regional, remote and metropolitan locations across Australia and occasionally overseas.
The occupant of this position reports to the Head of Travelling Exhibitions and will liaise and work with staff across the Gallery from Curatorial & Educational Services and Development, Marketing & Commercial Operations Programs.
The occupant of this position will be responsible for the development, implementation, promotion and evaluation of the Travelling Exhibitions Program and Sections appropriate to the Gallery’s objectives as well as the project management of designated Travelling Exhibitions.
- Project manage, develop, implement, promote and coordinate all aspects of designated travelling exhibitions.
- Supervise, motivate and manage multi-disciplinary teams within the Gallery environment and at host venues.
- Prepare, collate and monitor work programs and related documentation including risk assessments, job safety analyses, forward plans, work schedules, budgets, contracts, statistics and correspondence for the Travelling Exhibitions Section and Program.
- Coordinate and produce reports, grants and sponsorship proposals, acquittals, collation of statistics and correspondence for the Travelling Exhibitions Section and Program.
- Research, evaluate, develop, document and review travelling exhibition and corporate documentation.
- Develop and nurture professional contacts and relevant Travelling Exhibitions stakeholders with particular emphasis on state, metropolitan, regional, remote and international venues, communities and industry bodies.
- Represent the Gallery when travelling for business purposes.
- Demonstrate knowledge and appreciation of the visual arts and an awareness of the Gallery’s collections as they apply to the work of this position (a tertiary qualification in Visual Arts or equivalent professional experience in the visual arts is essential. Additional Museum Studies and/or Education qualifications would be an advantage.)
- Highly developed project management skills and experience in contributing to, implementing and maintaining a travelling exhibitions program applying the principles of effective risk management.
- Demonstrated experience in applying appropriate museum standards covering the safe and effective handling, packing, transportation, installation and display of works of art having regard to conservation, registration, exhibition and graphic design requirements.
- High level interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills showing proven abilities in negotiation, representation, development and maintenance of networks appropriate to a travelling exhibitions program.
- Demonstrated excellence in good business management practices including general administration, financial management, budget development, forward planning, workflow and time management, policy development, administration and evaluation.
- Ability to promote and apply the principles of workplace diversity and participative management practices
Job Specific WH&S Requirements / Information for Supervisor and Occupant
The Project Officer Travelling Exhibitions is expected to take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure the health and safety of all by supporting and participating in initiatives aimed at improving health and safety in the Gallery, particularly through the process of continuous improvement. This includes ensuring all tasks and procedures are undertaken in a manner which safeguards the health and safety of Gallery employees and visitors and ensuring the Gallery’s legal obligation for WH&S is met in relation to systems of work.
Within one month of commencing in the position the occupant, in discussion with his/her supervisor, must complete an Individual Development and Performance Agreement and Health and Safety Responsibilities checklist to identify and section specific WH&S issues and training required.
Position no.: 6073
Position: Project Officer Travelling Exhibitions
Classification: NGA 5/6
Program: Exhibitions and Collections Services
Immediate supervisor: Head of Travelling Exhibitions
Hours per week: Full time 37.5