NGA Level 3/4
Position No. 9013
The National Gallery of Australia's Research Library is a specialist library with professional, technical and administrative staff. It supports the research needs of staff, volunteers, visiting scholars and a public reference service.
This position reports to the Chief Librarian and is responsible for maintaining circulation services, the publications exchange program and providing administrative services for the Research Library.
- Provide circulation services including interlibrary loans.
- Contribute to online documentation and cataloguing.
- Supervise the Reading Room and provide client support.
- Coordinate the Research Library exchange program.
- Record statistics and manage administrative office activities.
- Qualifications in or progress towards library studies or relevant experience with special libraries. Knowledge of cultural collections and an interest in the visual arts is an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully operate a range of office and library collection management software systems including word processing and spreadsheets together with developed technical skills for cataloguing and web based publication.
- Well developed communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to show initiative and exercise sound judgement when liaising with staff and external clients at all levels and a commitment to customer service ensuring sensitivity and confidentiality where required.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with limited supervision and as part of a team demonstrating a commitment to high levels of client satisfaction and the ability to work in a high pressure area with competing priorities.
- Ability to promote and apply the principles of workplace diversity and participative management practices.
Job Specific WH&S Requirements / Information for Supervisor and Occupant
The Library Officer is expected to take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure the health and safety of all by supporting and participating in initiatives aimed at improving health and safety in the NGA, particularly through the process of continuous improvement. This includes ensuring tasks and procedures are undertaken in a manner which safeguards the health and safety of NGA employees, contractors, volunteers and visitors and ensuring the NGA's legal obligations for WH&S is met in relation to systems of work.
Within 1 month of commencing in the position the occupant, in discussion with his/her supervisor, must complete an individual Development and Performance Agreement and Health and Safety Responsibilities checklist to identify any section specific WH&S issues and training required.
Special working conditions
Work is performed primarily in a library environment while sitting at a desk or computer terminal for extended periods of time. Physical exertion may be required to lift office supplies and library materials from overhead and from the floor and to shelve and retrieve library materials from high and low settings. . Sufficient vision is essential to ensure the employee has the capacity to read, sort and shelve library materials and maintain patron and cataloging records.
Position No: 9013
Position: Library Officer
Classification:NGA Level 3/4
Department: Research Library
Immediate Supervisor: Chief Librarian
Hours per week: Fulltime : 37 hours 30 minutes