Assistant Curator, Asian Art
NGA Level 4
Position Number: Sup 276
The Assistant Curator, Asian Art will provide curatorial and organisational assistance to the Asian Art Department. This includes undertaking administration, liaison with staff across the gallery, public enquiries, assisting with submissions for Council, research and cataloguing works in the collection and assisting with the organisation of changeovers and displays.
Assist the Asian art curators with the administration, exhibition, care and management of the Asian art collection. Main duties include the following:
- Assist with the management and development of the Gallery's Asian art collection, including the preparation and presentation of works of art to the Director and Council for the acquisition and disposal of works of art.
- Assist with the administration of the Asian Art department, including responses to public inquiries.
- Participate in public programs related to the Asian art collection. Liaise with and assist education activities and public programs.
- Assist in the implementation of the Gallery's permanent displays of Asian art. Liaise with and consult with staff across the gallery on matters relating to the Asian art collection and display.
- Undertake research on the Asian art collections, and assist with the cataloguing of the collection to the standards required for labelling, documentation and publication.
- Contribute to the safe movement of works of Asian art for the purposes of exhibition, conservation, photography and storage.
- A broad knowledge of Asian art, and a degree in art history or relevant field of study with Asian specialisation, preferably at Honours level.
- Demonstrated skills and knowledge in museum practices and procedures, including the cataloguing and display of works of art. Demonstrated skills in the maintenance of accurate records in manual and computer-based formats and an awareness of collection management software.
- Proven administrative, keyboard and word processing skills. Ability to work on several projects simultaneously, organising and prioritising to meet specified deadlines under supervision.
- Evidence of effective skills in written and oral communication with experience in public speaking and demonstrated expertise in undertaking research on relevant aspects of Asian art.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively as a member of a team and to establish good working relationships with staff and clients.
- Ability to promote and apply the principles of workplace diversity and participative management practices.
Job Specific WH&S Requirements / Information for Supervisor and Occupant
The Assistant Curator is responsible for taking all reasonable steps to protect their own health and safety and that of other employees and visitors and for acting in accordance with the NGA's WH&S policies and procedures.
Within one month of commencing in the position the occupant, in discussion with his/her supervisor, must complete an Individual Development and Performance Agreement and Health and Safety Responsibilities checklist to identify any specific WH&S issues and training required.
Position No: Sup 276
Position: Assistant Curator – Asian Art
Classification: NGA Level 4
Section: Asian Art
Immediate Supervisor: Curator of Asian Art
Status: Part time
Hours per week: 15