World of Dreamings
Traditional and modern art of Australia
An exhibition held at the State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg | 2 February - 9 April 2000
- Dr Brian Kennedy, Director, National Gallery of Australia
- An introduction to Aboriginal art by Susan Jenkins and Carly Lane
- The Aboriginal Memorial We have survived, by Djon Mundine
- The Aboriginal Memorial 1987-88 A description
- John Mawurndjul The resonating land by Luke Taylor
- All the world The paintings of Nym Bandak by Kim Barber
- 'Who's that bugger who paints like me?' Rover Thomas by Wally Caruana
- The enigma of Emily Kngwarray by Jenny Green
- High art and religious intensity. A brief history of Wik sculpture by Peter Sutton
- Laced flour and tin boxes The art of Fiona Foley by Avril Quaill
- The memory theatre of Tracey Moffat by Gael Newton
It is customary in Aboriginal communities not to mention the name or reproduce the photographs of the recently deceased. All such mentions and photographs in this catalogue have been reproduced with the express permission of the appropriate authorities and family members. Nonetheless care and discretion should be exercised in using this book within Aboriginal communities.
The copyright on all the works of art shown belongs to the relevant artists, their kin and descendants. Copyright of texts is held by the authors and the National Gallery of Australia. Copyright of photographic images is held by individual photographers or the National Gallery of Australia.
This catalogue is produced on the occasion of the exhibition Contemporary Australian Aboriginal Art in Modern Worlds, organised by the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra, at the State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg.
© National Gallery of Australia, Canberra, 2000.
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photography, recording, or any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Editor: Karen Leary.
For further information, contact:
The Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Art
National Gallery of Australia
GPO Box 1150 Canberra, ACT, 2601, Australia.
Telephone: 61 2 6240 6411
Facsimile: 61 2 6240 6529
National Gallery of Australia web site: www.nga.gov.au
The Aboriginal Memorial web site: www.nga.gov.au/memorial
Aboriginal photography web site: www.nga.gov.au/retake/retake.html