Henri de TOULOUSE-LAUTREC | La Goulue entering the Moulin Rouge [La Goulue entrant au Moulin Rouge]

Henri de TOULOUSE-LAUTREC
France 1864 – 1901

La Goulue entering the Moulin Rouge [La Goulue entrant au Moulin Rouge] 1892 oil on cardboard on cardboard
79.4 (h) x 59.0 (w) cm
Reference: Dortu P.423 The Museum of Modern Art, New York Gift of Mrs David M. Levy, 1957

Louise Weber, known as La Goulue (The Glutton), was famous for her notorious chahut, which she danced in revealing costumes, sometimes without underwear. Hired by Charles Zidler to perform at the Moulin Rouge, Lautrec captures La Goulue’s arrival – her sister to her right and fellow dancer Nini les Pattes-en-l’air (literally, Nini Feet-in-the-Air) to her left. La Goulue is shown with an ashen face, heavily made-up eyes and a twisted smile: a brutal portrayal that exposes the darker realities of the cabaret culture.

Louise Weber, known as La Goulue (The Glutton), was famous for her notorious chahut, which she danced in revealing costumes, sometimes without underwear. Hired by Charles Zidler to perform at the Moulin Rouge, Lautrec captures La Goulue’s arrival – her sister to her right and fellow dancer Nini les Pattes-en-l’air (literally, Nini Feet-in-the-Air) to her left. La Goulue is shown with an ashen face, heavily made-up eyes and a twisted smile: a brutal portrayal that exposes the darker realities of the cabaret culture.

Louise Weber, known as La Goulue (The Glutton), was famous for her notorious chahut, which she danced in revealing costumes, sometimes without underwear. Hired by Charles Zidler to perform at the Moulin Rouge, Lautrec captures La Goulue’s arrival – her sister to her right and fellow dancer Nini les Pattes-en-l’air (literally, Nini Feet-in-the-Air) to her left. La Goulue is shown with an ashen face, heavily made-up eyes and a twisted smile: a brutal portrayal that exposes the darker realities of the cabaret culture.



Image detail: Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec La Goulue entering the Moulin Rouge [La Goulue entrant au Moulin Rouge] 1892
The Museum of Modern Art, New York Gift of Mrs David M. Levy