Henri de TOULOUSE-LAUTREC | The toilette (Combing her hair) [La toilette (Celle qui se peigne)]

Henri de TOULOUSE-LAUTREC
artist France 1864 – 1901

The toilette (Combing her hair) [La toilette (Celle qui se peigne)] 1891 oil on cardboard
58.0 (h) x 46.0 (w) cm
Reference: Dortu P.389 The Ashmolean Museum, Oxford Bequeathed by Frank Hindley Smith, 1939

During the early 1890s Lautrec completed a series of paintings inspired by Edgar Degas’ women at their toilette. Creating images of great tenderness, Lautrec similarly depicts women in the act of combing or arranging their hair. 

Lautrec’s use of oil paint watered down with turpentine allowed him to apply it quickly to the absorbent surface of cardboard, achieving a feathery effect. He began to paint in this style after admiring oil sketches by Jean-François Raffaëlli who left ‘raw’ sections of his canvases.

During the early 1890s Lautrec completed a series of paintings inspired by Edgar Degas’ women at their toilette. Creating images of great tenderness, Lautrec similarly depicts women in the act of combing or arranging their hair. 

Lautrec’s use of oil paint watered down with turpentine allowed him to apply it quickly to the absorbent surface of cardboard, achieving a feathery effect. He began to paint in this style after admiring oil sketches by Jean-François Raffaëlli who left ‘raw’ sections of his canvases.

During the early 1890s Lautrec completed a series of paintings inspired by Edgar Degas’ women at their toilette. Creating images of great tenderness, Lautrec similarly depicts women in the act of combing or arranging their hair. 

Lautrec’s use of oil paint watered down with turpentine allowed him to apply it quickly to the absorbent surface of cardboard, achieving a feathery effect. He began to paint in this style after admiring oil sketches by Jean-François Raffaëlli who left ‘raw’ sections of his canvases.




Image detail: Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec La Goulue entering the Moulin Rouge [La Goulue entrant au Moulin Rouge] 1892
The Museum of Modern Art, New York Gift of Mrs David M. Levy