National Summer Art Scholarship 2014
12 – 18 January 2014
Applications are closed
Go to Flickr to see previous years
Send applications to
National Summer Art Scholarship 2014
National Gallery of Australia
GPO Box 1150
Canberra, ACT 2601
Applicants will be notified in late November 2013. The selection panel's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
phone +61 2 6240 6632
The NAB passionate about supporting Australian communities and helping young artists reach their potential. Learn more at nab.com.au
Artist, conservator, curator, designer, educator, multimedia, public relations, publishing…
There’s more to a career in the visual arts than meets the eye!
If you are in Year 11 and interested in art, you can spend a week this summer at the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra.
Become one of sixteen students selected from around the nation—two from each state and territory—to participate in the National Summer Art Scholarship in 2014.
The scholarship program offers an opportunity to engage with the staff at the National Gallery of Australia, as well as other arts professionals, artists and your peers from around the nation.
'The NSAS has been the most incredible opportunity. I have experienced some of the greatest aspects of the art world and the running of the Gallery. It is an experience I will never forget.'
Lucy, participant from 2013 National Summer Art Scholarship
- Discover the national art collection and learn how works of art are acquired and exhibitions developed.
- Go behind the scenes to experience the workings of the Gallery.
- Participate in workshops and receive expert tuition from Gallery staff and professional artists.
The scholarship includes:
- the opportunity to experience the National Gallery of Australia’s dynamic environment and to meet the visual arts professionals who work there
- a return airfare to Canberra from your nearest airport
- accommodation at the 4-star hotel, The Brassey of Canberra. All meals, including celebratory dinner at the Belmore Restaurant at The Brassey
- free membership to the National Gallery of Australia in 2014
- free entry to the summer exhibition.
To apply you must be:
- an Australian citizen
- in Year 11 in 2013 and interested in the visual arts.
Your application must include:
- the application form completed in full
- your own visual response to Simryn Gill’s A small town at the turn of the century no 5 1999–2000. Your response can be two-dimensional on an A4 page or three-dimensional with maximum size of 29.7 x 21 x 10 cm or as a jpeg file emailed or on CD and printable to A4
- a written response about your visual submission and how it relates to A small town at the turn of the century no 5 1999-2000 (maximum of one A4 page)
'A small town at the turn of the century no 5'
1999-2000 National Gallery of Australia, Canberra purchased 2012
2014 National Summer Art Scholarship successful Students
- Mr Aris Ioannou-Marsh, Elonera Montessori School, NSW
- Mr Otis Burian Hodge, Homebush Boys High School, NSW
- Mr Liam Poole, St Michael's Grammar, VIC
- Ms Zoe Kostopoulos, Our Lady of the Sacred Heart College, VIC
- Mr Maxim Varghese, Brisbane Grammar School, QLD
- Ms Felicity Perrers, Mt St Michael's College, QLD
- Mr Rory King, Canberra Grammar School, ACT
- Ms Rachel Roberts, Dickson College, ACT
- Ms Dayna Clifton, Samaritan College St John's Campus, SA
- Ms Scarlett Kraehe, Cleve Area School, SA
- Mr Reyne Lawson, All Saints' College, WA
- Ms Wyonna Stewart, Mt Lawley Senior High School, WA
- Mr Liam Pickering, Rosny College, TAS
- Ms Amelia Crothers, St Patrick's College, TAS
- Ms Shiloh Jarrett, Centralian Senior College, NT
- Ms Ellen Crimmins, Palmerston Senior College, NT