Around 1750, when this painting was created, tourists started returning to Venice after the end of the Austrian War of Succession. Francesco Guardi began to paint views of Venice at this time following the style of Canaletto. The atmosphere is peaceful and luminous, the buildings are precisely painted and the figures are lively. This view is seen from the Piazzetta. In the background on the island of San Giorgio Maggiore is the Palladian Church partially obscured by a great red canvas which protects a ship.