Open daily 10.00 am – 5.00 pm
(closed Christmas day).
- Turrell Skyspace optimum viewing times
- Fujiko Nakaya's Fog sculpture is in operation 12.30–2.00 pm daily
- Listing of staff contact details
- General information +61 2 6240 6411
- Visitors with mobility difficulties +61 2 6240 6411
- General email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complaints and feedback
See Directions & Parking
Parkes, Canberra ACT 2600
- Collection: entry is free
- Special exhibitions: entry costs may apply
Conditions of entry
To help us protect our displays and exhibitions from damage, we ask visitors to observe the following conditions of entry to the Gallery:
- Items where any one side is longer than 30cm, such as bags, backpacks, umbrellas, baby backpack carries, tripods and monopods are not permitted in the exhibition areas. Free supervised storage is available in the Foyer cloakroom.
- Food and drink are not permitted in any exhibition area.
- All of the National Gallery's buildings and immediate surrounds are smoke-free.
- Photography or video is not permitted anywhere in the Gallery.
- Touching of art work is not permitted.
- Trained, registered and visibly identifiable guide, hearing and other assistance dogs are welcome to visit the Gallery when accompanied by their handler.
Have a safe and enjoyable visit
While all persons entering the Gallery and its relaxing surrounds (the Sculpture Garden, and the Australian Garden with the nearby Turrell Skyspace and moat) do so at their own risk, there are some simple things that will make your visit safe and enjoyable:
- Walk, don't run – the Gallery's visitors include a wide range of age groups and abilities, and walking will ensure the safety of both your children and other visitors.
- Signs – you'll see a range of signs posted at the Gallery. Please follow their advice.
- Staff requests – our Security Officers or Front of House staff may make requests or give you directions from time to time – please follow their requests.
The Gallery as a public facility reminds you that you are responsible for the direct supervision of children in your care. We encourage families, (especially those with young children), to stay together at all times. We also ask that children not be carried on their parents' or carers' shoulders due to the potential for injury to the child or damage to works of art.
The Sculpture Garden and the Australian Garden are open every day of the year. Visitors are advised that extreme caution should be exercised on the slate paving near these areas when wet, as it becomes slippery.
All the details on finding your way around the Gallery building
- Download Gallery map (549 KB pdf)
Parents and Carers room
The Gallery provides a number of facilities for visitors with young children:
- One Parents/Carers Room near the Cloakroom on Level G provides changing and toilet facilities.
- Our other Parents/Carers Room located on Level 1 near the James O Fairfax Theatre has additional facilities of private and comfortable seating and a microwave oven. While this is also a comfortable place for breastfeeding, breastfeeding is welcome in all areas of the Gallery.
- Strollers are available at the cloakroom for use only within the Gallery.
- All public areas of the Gallery are available either by lifts, escalators, or walkway ramps.
- Highchairs are available in the spacious eating area in the Café.
Toilets can be found on:
- Level LG – Café
- Level G - main entrance near the cloakroom (disabled access)
- Level 1 - near the fashion and jewellery displays (disabled access)
- Level 2 – near the Membership Office
Indigenous arts and craft, books and catalogues, calendars and diaries, prints and posters, gifts, jewellery, fine art cards.
- Open 7 days 10 am – 5 pm
- phone +61 2 6240 6420
- email email@example.com
Scheduled guided tours
The following free guided tours are available every day except Christmas Day.
- Australian art
10.30 am and 1.30 pm | daily
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander art
12.30 pm | Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday
- Collection highlights
11.30 am and 2.30 pm daily |
plus 12.30 pm on Mon, Wed, Fri & Sat.
Please note: Tours range from 30 minutes to 1 hour duration.
or phone +61 2 6240 6502.
Booked guided tours
Free guided tours may be booked any day except Christmas Day.
or phone +61 2 6240 6588
- Highlight tours
30-minute tours of major works in the collection designed for Tourist coach day tours
- ARTDiscovery tours
for schools: bookings required.
- Private tours
guided tours may be included in private bookings for a fee. Note: All hire of Gallery spaces is subject to availability, as negotiated with the Events Coordinator on +61 2 6240 6711
- Members tours
the program of events for members published in the calendar includes guided tours.
- Special interest
groups and VIPs tours
- Becoming an NGA Guide