Collection study room
The Collection Study Room (CSR) provides public access to works of art from the National Gallery of Australia's collection that are not currently on display. The room is popular with special interest groups from the community such as potters, embroiderers and quilters. Admission to the CSR is free.
The CSR officer will be able to respond to routine inquiries about the collection by accessing the Gallery's collection management system database.
Printouts of collection information may be made avavailable at the discretion of the CSR officer .
Some Gallery publications, such as exhibition catalogues, monographs, annual reports and other public documents may also be available for reference in a discrete area of the CSR.
Visitors wishing to purchase photographs or photocopies may do so by completing a request for reproduction form.
To facilitate the preparation of works of art for viewing we require at least two weeks notice of when you wish to come and what you wish to see.
- The number of works of art available for viewing may be restricted.
- Preference will be given to works of art which can be readily moved to the CSR.
- Large and fragile materials requiring specialist handling will only be accessible by special arrangement.
- In general, a time limit of two hours will apply .
The CSR is open by appointment 10am – 4pm Monday–Friday (and weekends by arrangement). We require at least two weeks notice.
Requests should include: artist name, title/s of works, the accession number
phone +61 2 6240 6648
fax +61 2 6240 6560
Collection Study Room
National Gallery of Australia
GPO Box 1150
Canberra ACT 2601
Photographer: NGA Imaging Services
Groups are restricted to 15 persons, including supervisors. Group visits involving tutorials must be supervised by at least one staff member.
Please report to the Information Desk in the Main Foyer, where you will be met by a CSR officer, who will introduce you to the CSR facilities.
Small handbags and research material may be taken to the CSR and stored in pigeon holes provided. However, handbags will not be permitted at study desks. Visitors materials may be subject to search.
Visitors are required to
- leave personal belongings (including food and drinks) in the Gallery cloakroom.
- register their Access to the Collection request and sign a visitors book.
- provide some form of photographic ID.