Frequently asked questions
Opening dates & times
How long will the exhibition be in Canberra?
- Renaissance closes 9 April 2012
What are the hours of the exhibition?
- 10.00 am – 5.00 pm every day,
final session entry 4.00pm (except Christmas day)
- Saturday nights from 10 December 2011, open until 7.00pm,
final session entry 6.00pm (except Dec 24 when closes at 5pm, final session is at 4.00pm)
- Friday nights from 20 January 2012, open until 7.00pm,
final session entry 6.00pm
What is timed ticketing?
- When you purchase your tickets, you will be asked to choose a date and time when you would like to see the exhibition. Tickets are sold every hour from 10am. With a Timed Ticket, a pre-established number of guests can enter during each session. This will allow for minimal queues, if any and will enhance your viewing experience by limiting the number of patrons in the exhibition at the one time. You are able to stay as long as you like and pass outs are available.
Where can I purchase tickets?
- Visit the ticketing page to purchase online via Ticketek or call Ticketek on 132 849.
Purchase at any Ticketek agency around the country
- NGA Ticketek Agency – You are able to pre-purchase tickets at the front desk of the National Gallery 7 days a week, 10am – 5pm and during the exhibition.
Will tickets be available on the day?
- Yes, tickets will be sold during the exhibition for any sessions that have tickets available.
Are school bookings available?
- Yes. School groups are able to book free of charge from 9am-10am during school terms. Please contact GroupBookings@nga.gov.au
Are group bookings available?
- Yes. Discounts are available for 10+ and can be booked by contacting Ticketek Groups on 1300 364 001 or email@example.com
- Go to group bookings on Ticketek.com.au for more detail.
Do NGA members get discounted tickets?
- Yes, NGA members are offered discounted exhibition prices.
How do I become a Member of the NGA?
- To become a member of the National Gallery visit NGA Members site.
I'm a Member of another state gallery or museum, do I get a discount too?
- Yes, membership of another recognised institution gets you a 10% discount in the shop, use of the National Gallery of Australia members lounge and a discounted (Members price) ticket into the exhibition. We recognize membership of the following: Art Gallery of New South Wales, Art Gallery of South Australia, Art Gallery of Western Australia, National Gallery of Victoria, Queensland Art Gallery/Gallery of Modern Art, Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Powerhouse Museum
Do I have to enter the exhibition at the session time on my ticket?
- Yes you do. You should ensure you arrive at the exhibition entrance at least 10 minutes before your entry time.
What happens if I am late?
- We do prefer you to be on time, however if you are late you will be slotted in to the next available session.
What happens if I buy my ticket and I need to change the date or time I chose ?
- Contact Ticketek on 132 849 to request another session (subject to availability).
Is there a restriction on how long I can spend in the exhibition?
- While entry to the exhibition is limited to the session time entry on your ticket, you can spend as long as you like viewing the exhibition. Most visitors spend an hour or more viewing.
Can I view other areas of the National Gallery of Australia with my exhibition ticket?
- Yes. Tickets to the exhibition also entitle you to access the Gallery from 10am to 5pm. Your session time only relates to the Renaissance Exhibition Hall.
Are pass outs allowed?
- Yes you are able to scan your ticket out of the exhibition and enter at a later time however you may need to wait if the exhibition is at capacity.
Are there audio guides for the exhibition?
- Audio guide vouchers can be purchased when you are buying your ticket and redeemed on the day you visit the exhibition. They are also available to hire on arrival at the gallery. The cost is $7.00 each.
Is photography permitted in the exhibition?
- Unfortunately photography is not permitted anywhere in the National Gallery due to conservation of the art works.
Are food and drinks permitted in the exhibition?
- No food or drinks are permitted inside the National Gallery.
Are food and drinks available at the Gallery?
- Yes. The NGA has 3 cafes, a bar and restaurant that will be open during the exhibiton. See Visitor information for further details.
How to contact us?
- Please click here for full details on how to contact us.
Where is the National Gallery of Australia?
- Please click here for full details on how to get to the National Gallery of Australia.
Are there Renaissance souvenirs I can purchase?
- Yes, a range of products will be available in the exhibition shop, including the Renaissance exhibition catalogue. The exhibition shop can be found upon exiting the exhibition. The main NGA Shop is open during gallery opening hours.