National Summer Art Scholarship 2016
9 – 16 January 2016
Artist, conservator, curator, designer, educator, multimedia, public relations, publishing…
There’s more to a career in the visual arts than meets the eye!
If you are in Year 11 and interested in art, you can spend a week this summer at the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra.
Become one of sixteen students selected from around the nation—two from each state and territory—to participate in the National Summer Art Scholarship in 2016.
The scholarship program offers an opportunity to engage with the staff at the National Gallery of Australia, as well as other arts professionals, artists and your peers from around the nation.
'Thank you for providing me with this once in a lifetime opportunity. I learned so much throughout the week, had so much fun, and met so many amazing people. It was by far one of the greatest experiences of my life.'
- 2015 NSAS student
- Discover the national art collection and learn how works of art are acquired and exhibitions developed.
- Go behind the scenes to experience the workings of the Gallery.
- Participate in workshops and receive expert tuition from Gallery staff and professional artists.
The scholarship includes:
- the opportunity to experience the National Gallery of Australia’s dynamic environment and to meet the visual arts professionals who work there
- a return airfare to Canberra from your nearest airport
- accommodation at the 4-star hotel, The Brassey of Canberra—all meals are included
- free membership to the National Gallery of Australia in 2016
- free entry to the summer exhibition.
Email or phone +61 2 6240 6632
NGA Betty Churcher Art Education and Access Programs are made possible with the support of Tim Fairfax AC.
Also supported by The Brassey of Canberra and School of Art, Australian National University.
Kala Lagaw Ya people As the rains fell and the seas rose 2010 linocut, printed in black ink, from one block 62 x 120 cm National Gallery of Australia, Canberra
Purchased 2012. View larger image (JPG | 5MB)
2016 National Summer Art Scholarship students
Mr Solomona Nona, Tagai State College, Thursday Island
Ms Jessica Tracey, Somerville House, Brisbane
Mr Astro Spiller, Victorian College of the Arts Secondary School, Melbourne
Ms Jessica Benter, Warrnambool College, Warrnambool
Ms Emma Wadley, St Patrick’s College, Launceston
Mr Caleb Clifford, Newstead College, Launceston
New South Wales
Ms Waheda Alami, Glenwood High School, Sydney
Mr Mackenzie Saddler, Leeton High School, Leeton
Australian Capital Territory
Mr Michael Sandford, Marist College, Pearce
Mr Solomon Grainger, Daramalan College, Dickson
Ms Nozhat Hassan, Pedare Christian College, Adelaide
Ms Ella-Maude Wilson, Trinity College, Gawler
Mr Pio III Gillamac, Casuarina Senior School, Darwin
Ms Julia Woods, O’Loughlin Catholic College, Darwin
Ms Amy Reid, St Stephens School, Perth
Ms Shania Haigh, Manjimup Senior High School, Manjimup
See the 2015 students experience on Flickr...