National Summer Art Scholarship 2016
9 – 16 January 2016
Send applications to
National Summer Art Scholarship 2015
National Gallery of Australia
GPO Box 1150
Canberra, ACT 2601
Closing date extended to:
Monday 12 October 2015
Applicants will be notified in late November 2015. The selection panel's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
phone +61 2 6240 6632
NGA Betty Churcher Art Education and Access Programs are made possible with the support of Tim Fairfax AC.
Also supported by The Brassey of Canberra and School of Art, Australian National University.
Artist, conservator, curator, designer, educator, multimedia, public relations, publishing…
There’s more to a career in the visual arts than meets the eye!
If you are in Year 11 and interested in art, you can spend a week this summer at the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra.
Become one of sixteen students selected from around the nation—two from each state and territory—to participate in the National Summer Art Scholarship in 2016.
The scholarship program offers an opportunity to engage with the staff at the National Gallery of Australia, as well as other arts professionals, artists and your peers from around the nation.
'Thank you for providing me with this once in a lifetime opportunity. I learned so much throughout the week, had so much fun, and met so many amazing people. It was by far one of the greatest experiences of my life.'
- 2015 NSAS student
- Discover the national art collection and learn how works of art are acquired and exhibitions developed.
- Go behind the scenes to experience the workings of the Gallery.
- Participate in workshops and receive expert tuition from Gallery staff and professional artists.
The scholarship includes:
- the opportunity to experience the National Gallery of Australia’s dynamic environment and to meet the visual arts professionals who work there
- a return airfare to Canberra from your nearest airport
- accommodation at the 4-star hotel, The Brassey of Canberra. All meals, including celebratory dinner at the Belmore Restaurant at The Brassey
- free membership to the National Gallery of Australia in 2016
- free entry to the summer exhibition.
To apply you must be:
- an Australian citizen
- in Year 11 in 2015 and interested in the visual arts.
Your application must include:
- the application form completed in full
- your own visual response to Brian Robinson's print, As the rains fell and the seas rose 2010 (5MB). Your response can be 2D with max size 297 x 210 mm (A4) or 3D with max size 297 x 210 x 100 mm.
- a written response about your visual submission and how it relates to Brian Robinson's print, As the rains fell and the seas rose 2010.
Kala Lagaw Ya people As the rains fell and the seas rose 2010 linocut, printed in black ink, from one block 62 x 120 cm National Gallery of Australia, Canberra
Purchased 2012. View larger image (JPG | 5MB)
2015 National Summer Art Scholarship students
- Mr Mitch Mahoney, Linuwel School, NSW
- Ms Constanza Zamora, Gosford High School, NSW
- Mr Daniel Boland, Catholic Regional College SYD, VIC
- Ms Julia Onufreichuk, Korowa Anglican Girls School, VIC
- Ms April Hanson, Launceston College, TAS
- Ms Ruby Edwards, The Friends' School, TAS
- Mr Tristan Kane, Mirani State High School, QLD
- Ms Tiana Holder, Canterbury College, QLD
- Mr Caelen Bailey, Darwin High School, NT
- Mr Charles Cruz, St. John's Catholic College, NT
- Ms Imogen Bradbury, John Curtain College of the Arts, WA
- Ms Millicent Graham, Mount Barker Community College, WA
- Mr Ben Abanat, Emmaus Christian College, SA
- Mr Ed Condon, Mercedes College, SA
- Ms Megan Wilkinson, Erindale College, ACT
- Ms Sydney Farey, Narrabundah College, ACT
See the 2014 students experience on Flickr...