National summer art scholarship
Artist, conservator, curator, designer, educator, multimedia, public relations, publishing… There’s more to a career in the visual arts than meets the eye!
Applications close 31 October 2016
If you are in Year 11 and interested in art, you can spend a week this summer (14–21 January) at the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra.
Become one of sixteen students selected from around the nation—two from each state and territory—to participate in the National Summer Art Scholarship in 2017.
The scholarship program offers an opportunity to engage with the staff at the National Gallery of Australia, as well as other arts professionals, artists and your peers from around the nation.
'I didn't really have expectations about what we'd be doing; I knew it would be amazing though. It totally exceeded my expectations'
2016 NSAS student
- Discover the national art collection and learn how works of art are acquired and exhibitions developed.
- Go behind the scenes to experience the workings of the Gallery.
- Participate in workshops and receive expert tuition from Gallery staff and professional artists.
The scholarship includes:
- the opportunity to experience the National Gallery of Australia’s dynamic environment and to meet the visual arts professionals who work there
- a return airfare to Canberra from your nearest airport
- accommodation at the 4-star hotel, The Brassey of Canberra—all meals are included
- free membership to the National Gallery of Australia in 2017
- free entry to Versailles: Treasures from the palace.
To apply you must be:
- an Australian citizen
- in Year 11 in 2016 and interested in the visual arts.
Your application must include:
- the application form completed in full
- your own visual response to Narelle Autio's photograph Nippers 1 2014
It can be:
- 2D with max size of 297 x 210 mm (A4) or
- 3D with max size of 297 x 210 x 100 mm.
- a written response about your visual submission and how it relates to the work above (max one A4 page).
Email applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send applications to:
National Summer Art Scholarship 2017
Learning and Access
National Gallery of Australia
GPO Box 1150, Canberra ACT 2601
Applicants will be notified in November 2016. The selection panel's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Email or phone +61 2 6240 6632
National Summer Art Scholarship. Made possible through the support of Tim Fairfax in honour of Betty Churcher. Also supported by The Brassey of Canberra and School of Art, Australian National University.
Narelle Autio Nippers 1 2014 National Gallery of Australia, Canberra, Purchased 2016 with the assistance of Diana Laidlaw © Narelle Autio. Courtesy of Hugo Michell Gallery, Adelaide and Stills Gallery, Sydney
2016 National Summer Art Scholarship students
Miss Ayla Newman, St Margarets Anglican Girls School, Ascot QLD
Mr Oliver Armstrong, Genesis Christian College, Brag Park QLD
Miss Lilyan Stark, Broadford Secondary College, Broadford VIC
Miss Alana Abenir, Academy of Mary Immaculate, Fitzroy VIC
Mr Callum Holmberg, Newstead College, Newstead TAS
Miss Alice Curtain, Elizabeth College, North Hobart TAS
New South Wales
Miss Jennifer Yang, Sydney Girls High School, Surry Hills NSW
Mr Macallister Middleton, Redlands, Cremorne NSW
Mr Billy Fisher, The Illawarra Grammar School, Figtree NSW
Australian Capital Territory
Miss Kyla Dabron, Lake Tuggeranong College, Greenway ACT
Mr Reuben Brown, Hawker College, Hawker ACT
Miss Grace Jordans, St John’s Grammar, Belair SA
Miss Caitlin Melville, Cornerstone College, Mt Barker SA
Miss Parastoo Javid, Shenton College, Shenton Park WA
Miss Zoe Wells, St. Mary's Anglican Girls' School, Karrinyup WA