To mark the 25th anniversary of the National Gallery of Australia, an exhibition of treasured works from the National Collection. Ocean to Outback: Australian Landscape Painting 1850–1950 has been curated by National Gallery Director, Ron Radford AM and celebrates the rich history of landscape painting in Australia.
The exhibition documents the most dynamic century of landscape painting from the colonial 1850s to the immediate period following World War II. Over this century, landscape painting was the “great” subject of Australian art, a theme that reflected the changing nature of a nation’s identity. Landscape subjects also became popular with the general public as Australians began to visit their own museums and galleries to see images of their country. The fascination and love of the Australian landscape continues to this day.
Ocean to Outback reflects the great strengths of the National Collection and includes works taken from the permanent display, others restored and reframed in period style, a number of new acquisitions, and some works that have never been shown before.
Every Australian state and territory is represented through the works by iconic artists such as: Thomas Baines, Clarice Beckett, Arthur Boyd, Charles Conder, Grace Cossington Smith, Ray Crooke, Russell Drysdale, Harry Garlick, Elioth Gruner, Hans Heysen, Sidney Nolan, Margaret Preston, Tom Roberts, Jeffrey Smart, Arthur Streeton, Howard Taylor, Albert Tucker and Eugene Von Guerard among others.
Curator: Dr Ron Radford AM, Director
Touring Dates and Venues
Supported by Visions of Australia, an Australian Government Program supporting touring exhibitions by providing funding assistance for the development and touring of Australian cultural material across Australia. The exhibition was also proudly sponsored by R.M. Williams, The Bush Outfitter and the National Gallery of Australia Council Exhibitions Fund.
- Tamworth Regional Gallery, Tamworth, NSW | 4 August – 22 September 2007
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart, TAS | 5 October – 25 November 2007
- Riddoch Art Gallery, Mt Gambier, SA | 8 December 2007– 20 January 2008
- Ballarat Fine Art Gallery, Ballarat, VIC | 2 February – 30 March 2008
- Lawrence Wilson Art Gallery, Perth, WA | 13 April – 1 June 2008
- Cairns Regional Gallery, Cairns, QLD | 21 June – 27 July 2008
- Araluen Arts Centre, Alice Springs, NT |9 August – 19 October 2008
- Newcastle Region Art Gallery, Newcastle, NSW | 8 November 2008 – 1 February 2009
- Canberra Museum and Gallery, Canberra, ACT | 14 February – 17 May 2009
The original website for this exhibition was published in 2007 and has been archived for research purposes.